The business intend of the member firms of the Slovak Association of Petroleum Industry and Trade ( Slovak abbreviation: Sappo) is a purposeful, responsible and efficient participation in the market of fuels and other oil products in the Slovak Republic, with the objective of meeting the needs and expectations of their customers. The firms associated in the Sappo see to the high standard of services that they provide, laying emphasis on establishment and reliability of long-term relations in the competitive environment of this market. They deem legal regulations making provision for the behaviour of market players to be the ethical minimum. They voluntarily pledge to behave in their business activities beyond the framework of legislative norms, in consistency with this Ethical Code
- Sappo members shall consistently comply with the law of the Slovak Republic and shall not engage in any activity that would contravene the law in letter and in spirit.
- They shall comply with the effective environmental regulations and strive to achieve in local conditions more favourable parameters than those stipulated by the legislation. They provide help in adjusting environmental regulations to those in force in countries of the European Union. They pursue a policy of steady improvement of all measures pertaining to health protection, safety and environmental protection in the interest of those subjects that may be affected by their activities.
- They pledge to ensure adequate working conditions to their employees in the area of safety at work and to protect their customers and third parties against accidents. They will promote this policy of safety at work also with their partners.
- They guarantee that the quality of products and services which they sell complies with the standards effective in the Slovak Republic and with the regulations and statements that relate to them. They provide guarantee of the quality of these products.
- They shall develop their business activities within this ethical framework on the basis of correct services. They shall reject participation of any of their employees or partners in corruption or dishonest activities.
- No member of Sappo shall try to directly or indirectly attract trained employees employed by another member firm in an attempt to gain certain economic advantage. Members of Sappo will also honour customs of trade in relation to employees dismissed by other member organisations for contravention of regulations of these organisations.
- Members of Sappo deem appropriate carrying out of contracts and agreements concluded to be the essential prerequisite for the development of trade relations.
- To attract and keep their customers, members of Sappo develop and offer products and services which are advantageous from the aspect of price, quality and safety, which is due to their considerable technological, commercial and environmental expertise.
- In recruiting staff, in advertising and other commercial activities, members are required not to use any means, products, services or any other activities that could damage the reputation or credibility of other participants of the market. Comparing products must not be targeted at individual competitors and produce faulty impression.
- Members of Sappo shall carry out their business publicly and in the face of public opinion. They shall provide all information and data to the public and to those whom these may concern, which do not damage the economic interests of the contracting party.
- Failure to comply with these ethical rules by a member of Sappo shall be dealt with following the procedure which comprises an inseparable part of these rules.
The procedural process in dealing with a contravention of ethical rules of member firms of the Slovak Association of Petroleum Industry and Trade
- A case of contravention of ethical rules is notified to the Sappo Board of Directors through the Secretariat by a letter written by a member firm, signed by its statutory representative. In addition to the signature, the letter will state the name (names) of the person (persons) that may confirm the given fact.
- The President of the Sappo Board of Directors shall according to the nature of the matter attempt to reach with the parties concerned a conciliable solution within agreed term.
- Where reconciliation cannot be reached, the Sappo Secretariat shall notify the head and the members of the expert group for the issues of professional ethics and shall ask the group to transmit its advisory position to be presented to the Sappo Board of Directors.
- The expert group for the issues of professional ethics shall consist of five members. Members are appointed by the Sappo General Meeting at the proposal made by the Board of Directors. At least one member must be a lawyer by education and practice, others may come from commercial and technical units. The expert group shall elaborate its agenda which is approved by the Sappo Board of Directors.
- The expert group shall organise a hearing of the representative of the proposing party and the persons stated by him as witnesses and the representative of the damaged member firm, or persons recommended by him as witnesses. The Minutes are produced from the hearing.
- Based on the interview and the results of the investigation, the expert group shall elaborate a recommendation for the Sappo Board of Directors containing proposed potential sanction against the offending member firm.
- Following sanctions are applied, depending on the nature of guilt :
7.1 a warning by the Board of Directors
7.2 a written reprimand by the Sappo Board of Directors
7.3 a suspension of membership in the Association
The proposal for suspension of membership is subject to approval by the General Meeting of Sappo. The imposed sanction is notified in an appropriate form to Sappo members.
- The party concerned can lodge an appeal with the General Meeting of Sappo against the imposed sanction( 7.1 and 7.2) within one month.
- Where the members of expert groups are at the same time workers of any of the member firms concerned in the dispute, these members shall not take part in the deliberations of the expert groups. This provision shall apply analogously to members of The Sappo Board of Directors.